Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Supplements

I'm wary of pills.

My father was a walking health store. He spent roughly $3 a day on vitamins/minerals/herbs/etc--bought mostly from the dollar store. He always checked with his doctor and studied the medicine behind these supplements.

Garlic, Fish Oil, St. John's Wort, yadda yadda yadda.

My father also died of cancer so there is certainly at least one case of the vitamins and minerals not working.

After years of "thinking about" taking some sort of health boosting regimen and wasting half used multivitamins, I've taken the leap.

Here's my daily routine:
B-12: Due to my gastric bypass, my body doesn't absorb the stuff well. All of your bodies cells work better in the presence of B-12. B-12 deficiency can lead to senility, psychosis, and a general break down of your bodies immune system.

Multivitamin: Again, because of my bypass, my body doesn't do absorption very well. So, in addition to all the fats and sugars my body misses, it also misses important vitamins. The multivitamin is a catch all. For me, it needs to be chewable...the whole lack of stomach acid thing.

Fish Oil: Cold water fish oil is one of the highest (and best) sources of Omega-3 fatty acids. In addition to increasing the levels of Omega-3s in my daily life, I have also decided to supplement them. Omega 3's help brain function, heart health, chronic pain, and protect from cancer.

Fiber w/ Calcium: Two of the most important supplements for weight loss now come together in a handy little package. Fiber helps in so many ways I will simply post the link. Calcium we all know, helps your bones...but did you also know if helps weightloss? Calcium inhibits the ability for fat molecules to bond. I've gone the Benefiber route and stir the tasteless mixture into water to take the rest of the morning routine.

Each of those above nutrients are things conscientiously already planned into a well balanced eating routine. Rather than trusting in pills and powders to "make everything all right." I think the best course of action is to identify what your body needs and make sure you're getting enough of it.

What are you guys taking?

No comments: